Sunday, November 15, 2009

A time for chopping and grinding Elk meat.






















I know this sounds very redneck but in keeping with my title themes i couldn't resist. Joel's friend Garrin recently shot a large Elk in western Montana. I have been so eager to try out my new Kitchen Aid attachment so we decided to try a sample batch and ended up with about 15lbs of yummy tasting burger. We used fresh bacon as the fat addition which also lends a nice natural flavor to the ground burger. Now that we are pros at the grinding we are excited for Joel to get his big Elk. (cross your fingers !)

The scenery pictures were taken on the way up to our friends house by the base on the Bridger Mtns. The sun was just setting so i was a little late on lighting but wanted to share them anyway.(i did photo shop the first one trying to lighten it up a little)

2 comments:

Barb said...

I can see the excited look on some little guys eyes as he is helping! An nice elk burger sounds really good right now. Come on Joel...I hope you get a nice cow...I think the meat tastes better.:)

DAD/GRANDPA said...

Tastes buds communicate the flavor of the meat, but viewing the size of the carcass and sheer beauty of the horns is what produces the memories for a lifetime!...oh yes, the "look" in a young boy's eyes tell a story that will also last.